Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Super Easy DIY Recovery in a Bag

With friends just finishing their marathons last weekend, another friend running hers this weekend and having my own to do next weekend, it got me thinking about recovery (and injury prevention). Then I remembered an easy ice pack that is both flexible and cheap!


Here's how it works:

1 part alcohol (or high-proof alcohol)
3 parts water
2 zipper storage bags

Mix the alcohol and water in one of the bags. Then double bag it and freeze for 12+ hours. The alcohol will keep the water from freezing completely. The mixture will be slushy enough to form around any injuries. 

It's reusable and cheap to replace if necessary.

I'll implement this during my RICE method for injury prevention/recovery:
Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevate

-JB2


No comments: